9.28.2008

Getting Excited

Good morning.

Another Sunday....I'm trying to enjoy the free time that I have now for crafting, cooking and sleeping in. Because all of this will change in a week when I start my new job at the ambulance service. I'll be in their Academy for about a month learning their protocols, mega codes, mapping, geography, driving, posts, etc. Then I'll be assigned to a FTO (field training officer) to ride out with for another month. I'll take calls with them, work their schedule with them and be the 3rd person on their truck. From what I hear I'll be able to perfect my driving skills, first by driving WITH a patient to the hospital code 1 (for you non-EMS people, code 1 is no lights, no sirens). After I do that a few times, they'll let me drive TO the call Code 3 (with lights and sirens). Finally I'll drive TO the hospital WITH a patient Code 3 (usually for Full Arrests/Respiratory arrest, major trauma, etc). In addition to the drivng, I'll do patient care on-scene (stay-and-play) and assist my paramedics in the truck until it's time to go.

I'm getting more and more excited each day, I've even got a count-down going (7 more days!!!) I've got my gear (trauma shears, stethoscope, pen light) all ready to go. My shoes look great, although I think I need to get some more black socks. I've been brushing up on my skills and making sure I know them by heart.

That's all for now, I need to go be crafty again, because once I start the new job, I'm expecting it all to come to a screeching hault.

0 comments: