4.01.2008

Why is it?

Why is it that the ones we love hurt us the most? Think about it for a minute. We have no problem telling someone we're related to "Hey, you look like crap today", but we would never say something like that to a friend. Why? Well, the answer is simple, we know the people we're related to are stuck with us and that they'll always love us, so we tend to be ruder to them because you know that'll love you anyway. Are you following me?

I've noticed this a lot in my life lately. 3 days a week (Mon-Wed)I stay in Norman with my sister in her 2 bedroom apartment. Her friend Gloria stays here on those same nights. However, Gloria gets the extra bedroom, and I'm stuck on the couch. I asked Whitney about it and she said, "Well, Gloria is my friend". So, in this case, being the friend gets you the comfortable bed and your own room and being the sister gets you the couch in the living room. Gotcha. However, when she needs something who does she call first? Me. She'll whine, "But you're my sister!" You're right Whitney, I am your sister. Maybe I'm just being overly sensitive, but it's frustrating.

Then today, I picked Whitney up from school and she couldn't find her tax return (turns out it was wedged between me and the seat). So she's talking to our mom on the phone (on speakerphone) and said, "Yea, I couldn't find my tax return, Holly was sitting on it" and my mom says back to her, "Well if Holly was sitting on it then it would be awfully hard to find now wouldn't it?" My jaw dropped and I could feel tears welling up in my eyes. Whitney said, "Um, mom, you're on speakerphone" and then my mom starts back-peddeling trying to cover for herself, "Uh, I mean, if I was sitting on it, it would be hard to find too." Too late mom, the damage is already done. I felt the tears stream down my face.

I'm sharing this with you because I want you to do or say something nice to someone in your family today and try to be aware of how you treat your family compared to how you treat your friends. Because in the long run, your family will be there for you and your friends may or may not be.

2 comments:

~Kim said...

oh sweetie....I am so sorry!! I love ya girlie! I'm hear for you and wouldn't say something to hurt your feelings..intentionally atleast!

(((HOLLY)))....call me if you need to talk!

Oh and for the record, I have a spare bedroom you can sleep in any time you need to!

~Kim

Susan said...

{{{hugs}}} Holly! Hope things are on the up swing!