10.16.2008

Mega Code

We did mega codes for the past two days. Mega codes are full arrests, v-fib, asystole, pacing, etc. I was really nervous. We were working on dummies and all, but we were delivering actual shocks to them. Plus, I'd never worked a code before. My promary job? CPR and ventilation. I worked with Gary (paramedic) and Coty(EMT) yesterday and Gary had us to CPR for 30 minutes on a patient in asystole. I could have killed him once we were done. My knees hurt from leaning on the floor, my arms hurt from the compressions and my hands hurt from them being locked during compressions. I was worn out. Seriously. I came home and crashed on the couch at 5:30 and slept until 8:00-ish.

Today the paramedics got tested on the mega codes and we EMT's were the support roles since we can't push drugs or anything. The best part of my day? 3 of the paramedics asked me to be their partner. Totally flattering, which means that they obviously think I'm pretty good. I could only work with 2 of them though, so I worked with Gary and Sherry. (Sorry Chad!) Everything went smoothly and I was able to remind them of things they were forgetting.

Don't forget to log that drug dose. Where is the pulse ox? Don't forget to check the blood sugar. After you drop the tube and have it secure, apply the c-collar.

All in all, it was a great day. Tomorrow we're doing PEPP (Pediatric Education for pre-hospital professionals). Should be interesting!

0 comments: