10.07.2008

Day Two: Getting Personal

Before I started the academy yesterday I hadn't practiced EMS in 2 1/2 months. I felt like my skills were rusty. Well, today was the day for that. Skills Check Off Day. *eeeiiiikes!*

Car extrication using the KED.
Sling and swathe.
Long spine board.
Checking blood glucose.
Traction splinting for femur fractures.
OPA, NPA and suction.

I passed with flying colors, although, I was nervous. I skipped lunch today to stay in and go over my check sheets. I even had to call Brian for a little pep talk. "Rah rah rah, you can do it!" (Yes, those really were his exact words!)

And you know what? I did it. I was paired up with 3 guys in my group today. We were the "Mighty 4". They were all really great, have really fun personalities and are good people. I'm blessed to have such great people in class with me. We look out for each other.

We received our protocol books today. It's about 300+ pages of protocols and how the ambulance service operates. It's overwhelming. But I know I can do it.

I came home today and made dinner. The house was quiet (my parents went to see a movie). I read the protocols and studied hard. I had dinner ready for them when they came home.

The plan for tonight:
Read more protocols.
Watch the debate.
Bubble Bath.

0 comments: