11.26.2007

On my mind...

Whew! I've got so much stuff on my mind lately! Where do I begin? Let's see here...

I should have checked my email before I left for school this morning. I got to class at 8:15 ready to go, laptop set up, cell phone set to silent and my bottle of water was nice and cold. There was another guy in the room with me. We noticed that ay 8:25 nobody else was in class. So, we're thinking, maybe they switched our class to another room or something because our room was really cold, so I checked my school email....class was cancelled. My professor was stuck in the Boston airport and we wouldn't be having class today. Great! My next class wasn't until 10:30. I could have slept in longer!!!

So, once I read that I scrolled down to check some emails....there's one that the OU History department sent out about a history fellowship in New York City this summer for a month doing some American History research. What a fantastic opportunity! I'm definitely going to apply for it. I mean, the worse case scenerio is they tell me no, right? The fellowship covers everything! Transportation to and from New York City, living expenses, tuition, books, etc. PLUS you get $2,500 misc for other stuff. That's a pretty sweet deal if you ask me.

Jason and I went out last night to see Beowulf. I'm not going to lie, I just wasn't that excited about it. I didn't enjoy reading the poem in high school. (Shh! Don't tell Kim Walker, my friend majoring in Secondary English Education) The movie is digital (I didn't know that!). It's not as cartoonish as Shrek, but it's that same digital animation. Let me say this, the antagionist, Grendel is terrifying looking. Seriously, I jumped a few times. SUPER scary! We ended up leaving after Beowulf slayed Grendel, but before he killed Grendel's mother and the dragon.

Then, today I went to my art history class. I think I would really enjoy the class more if it wasn't for my teacher. This woman is seriously dumber than a bag of rocks. We're talking about Picasso today and how his work is the early 1900's. She says, "What else was happening in the early 1900's? Like....1912?" I'm sure she was talking about World War I, even though everyone knows that The Great War didn't start until 1914. So, she answers her own question, "World War One. You probably don't know much about World War I as you do about World War II becuase of the holocaust and stuff, it doesn't matter though, World War I wasn't that important." Wait wait WAIT! World War I isn't that important? Are you out of your freakin mind!?!?! They don't call it the Great War for nothing! 9.9 million people died and Europe was destroyed. DESTROYED!

This same teacher also said that Marie Antoinette was loved by the French when we were discussing French art. Umm, Marie Antoinette was hated. First because she was Austrian. Secondly because she spent tax money on fancy clothes, and elaborate things. If she was that well liked then why did she go to the guillotine?

*sigh* Some people...

1 comments:

~Kim said...

somebody call 911, I think Holly needs someone to extinguish her fire! : )

I am so proud of you for knowing so much about history! I hate history, can't stand history, and can't understand why we study things that have already happened! But you my friend, are the reason that we study history, so you can teach stupid people like myself about things that I should really know about!

Oh and for the record, I HATE Beowulf too...I will try my hardest not to ever have to teach that in my class. I mean after all of these years, why are we still studying that Old English crap anyways? : )

You'll have to fill me in on the date stuff!

~Kim