3.29.2009

Quick Thinking

I worked with my friend Jim yesterday. He's been a medic for a LOOONG time. He's seriously one of the most talented and smartest medics I know. I was so excited to work with him, I always learn something new.

First, I started my VERY FIRST IV yesterday.....on Jim. He's getting me ready for paramedic school. My first attempt.....success! :-)

Then, the two of us handled a respiratory arrest. The guy just stopped breathing. Luckily he did it right in front of us, so we were able to intubate and start a breathing treatment through the tube. Turns out he had a major pneumothorax. I had to stop the truck en route to the hospital and rush to the back to help Jim. I was scared to death, especially since it was just the two of us. He talked me through everything and we saved the guy.

I got this note on my Facebook today "I have to say that I was very impressed with you last night. You are one HELL of an EMT and a GREAT partner. Dont ever change your great"

Thanks.

2 comments:

~Kim said...

Way to go Holly! You amaze me every time I hear one of your EMT stories...I could never do the job you do.

What a sweet message on facebook...is that from Jim?? : )

~Kim

Lisa said...

That is soooo amazing! Man, I'm scared for you....lol But, someone has to do the job...way to go for helping to save people's lives Holly....Lisa